Wednesday 8 May 2019

When they talk to me...

When I meet someone I don't know, most of the time he/she start talking to me in Dutch.
Why?

The number of foreign people here is maybe not as high as on the Orange tree, but not so much less to justify the assumption that all here are Dutch.
No, there is a very big percentage of foreign people and it's not possible to ignore it.
And the people here are not dumb, so they could as well talk to me in English instead of Dutch.

So why?
Because I'm not the "typical" foreign for them.
Strangely enough for most of them I look much more Dutch then foreign, even if I'm not tall or blond...

It's that I look much more Dutch then Indian, and since 90% of the foreign here are Indians I get classified as Dutch!
So both Dutch and Indians (if they are able) try to talk with me in Dutch.... I have to learn Dutch quickly...

No comments:

Post a Comment